Monday, July 21, 2008

A Friend Indeed

Luke 5:17-20

This is another one of my favorite stories about our Lord and Savior! It is also one of my favorite stories about man-kind. So many times we hear how people turn their back on others. A man or woman is paralyzed in an accident or is incapacitated in someway and their spouse leaves them because "they just can't handle it." Someone is sick for a long time and their friends step in for a while, but then everyone leaves and the person is left with a few people to help care for them. Chonda Pierce, a Christian comedian who struggles with clinical depression, says that many in the "body of Christ has forgotten how to walk with someone through a valley."

While I do agree with her in some respects, today we see a great example of people just like you and I who did not turn their backs on a friend in need. I have always been in awe of this story. Although the Bible does not go into the detail of how this man was paralyzed, whether from birth or by some type of accident, we do know that he was totally incapable of bringing himself before Jesus. But, he had four friends that were not going to give up just because Jesus was not coming to their house.

They went and got their friend and carried him to the house where Jesus was teaching. When they saw that they could not get through the door because of the crowd, they still did not give up! They carried their friend up to the roof, took off the ceiling tiles and lowered their friend down right in front of Jesus! What a sight to see! I would have loved to seen this happening. Just imagine being in church and all of a sudden a man being lowered in through the roof to seek healing from the ultimate Healer.

Of course, Jesus could not help but see the man being lowered down in front of him interrupting his preaching. But the Bible says the "when Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven." (Luke 5:20 emphasis mine). How awesome it must have been for the four friends to have been a part of this miracle!

As I read this, I am reminded that everything we do can be an act of worship. Even our friendship with each other can be an act of worship. Sometimes I find myself shying away from the hard situations of life because I am so afraid I will say or do the wrong thing. So I just do not say or do anything. God has showed me that this is wrong and I am asking Him to help me to reach out to those who are hurting or just need a friend.

These friends are a great example of how we should treat each other. Let's love each other the way they loved their friend. The only better reward than having a selfless friendship with another person is the fact that Jesus himself will see our faith and be pleased.

No comments: