Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who Can Satisfy My Soul?

Isaiah 41:21-24, Ephesians 5:18

Satisfaction of the soul. This is a running theme in my life. It comes up in the Bible studies that I teach. It comes up in my daily reading. It comes up when I talk to other women. Obviously, God is still teaching me this lesson. Maybe because this is a lesson that we will have to use everyday. Everyday we have the choice to allow Christ to fill our lives or to allow something or someone else to fill us. The problem is that no one else can.

Although the scripture readings for today may seem abstract, they actually do have the same theme. Over and over we see that the Israelites turned to foreign gods. As a young believer I always thought, "why?". Now when I say that, I hear a Voice from within say, "why do you?".

For some reason or another, we try to fill the empty places within us that is meant to be filled by God with other things or people. In short, these can easily become our idols. One of the best things I have ever heard my pastor, Buddy Champion, say was in reference to Ephesians 5:18 and it had nothing to do with alcohol. He said that so many times we read this verse and get all hung up on drinking when what this verse means is to not be filled or controlled by anything other than God. So, take out wine and put in "work" or "material possessions", or "your children" or "your grandchildren" or "your husband" or "your girlfriends" or anything else that takes precedence over Christ in your life.

Isaiah's wording is a little harsh when we put it in the context of our children or husband, but it is still true. These people can not save us. We are just meant to enjoy life with them and to enjoy their lives. They cannot fill us up not matter how hard we try to make them. Anything other than Christ will still leave us empty.

So, why am I saying all of this again? Because we can see that throughout the history of God's people they fell over and over again into idol worship and God records it over and over again. There must be a reason. We are no different than them. This is a daily or possibly even a moment to moment decision to be filled with Christ instead of with something else. So I ask you today, is there anything you are trying to fill your empty places with other than Christ? If so, can you put it down until lunch? And then can you turn to Christ and ask Him to help you put it down until dinner? And then can you ask Him to help you put it down until bedtime? And then in the morning you might have to do it all over again, but eventually, through His grace, you will be satisfied by the only One who was meant to fill our empty places. I have walked this road (that way in fact) and I promise you, He is faithful and He can satisfy our souls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, how true; what a struggle. Thanks for the encouragement.