Tuesday, October 21, 2008

God Calls You Beautiful


"Listen, O daughter, consider and give ear: Forget your people and your father's house. The king is enthralled by your beauty, honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:10-11

I just finished the Bible study Do You Think I'm Beautiful? by Angela Thomas. It was a wonderful study that I highly recommend. I know that God will continue to use what He has taught me in it and I'm sure it will overflow into my writing. One of the greatest things He has taught me in the past 6 weeks is in this verse. Let's read it again:

"Listen, O daughter, consider and give ear: Forget your people and your father's house. The king is enthralled by your beauty, honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:10-11

There are two things that I want us to consider in the verses:
nmj
1. Forget your people and your father's house. This point speaks volumes to me. I realize that many of you came from a very godly heritage. Your parents were Christians, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. That is wonderful! I do not want to dishonor my family in any way in saying this, but I do not bring with me a godly heritage. My mother's side of the family is very godly, but my father's side is not. In a way, I have always carried this around with me feeling like I was unworthy in some way. I found myself always being very envious of people that had their entire family following after Christ.

Even if your family is in church and following Christ, every family has problems. This verse speaks to me and tells me that I do not have to live in defeat. I do not have to make the same mistakes that my family has made. Through Christ, we can change our family tree. I'm not saying we are to forget our earthly families, but our heritage is from God. Our eternal father is God Himself.

2. The king is enthralled by your beauty. Wow! This verse I love. Can we accept this as truth today? Depending on your own personal experiences, it may be easy for you to believe that God sees you beautiful on the inside, but not on the outside. Or it may be exactly the opposite. Can we accept the truth of this verse that God sees us as beautiful on the inside and outside? He truly does! We are his children. When we look at our own children, do we see them as beautiful. They are beautiful to us because of our love for them. Our love on our best day is still frail and selfish in ways. God's love is perfect at all times. He loves us more than we can even imagine and we are beautiful to him through and through.

This may take some time to believe. I am still working on it myself, but I am asking God daily to apply this truth to my heart. What would our lives look like if we really believed this 100% and lived like it? I think we would be amazing women! I think we would be the women God intended us to be.

The God of Heaven calls you beautiful... and its true. - Angela Thomas

No comments: