Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Like Little Children..."

"He called a little child and had him stand among them. and he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." Matthew 18:2-6

There are many important lessons to be learned from this passage. I want to focus on two that stand out to me. The first brings me as a mother much comfort. We teach our children and grandchildren that God loves them and that He is with them. But, then at some point they begin learning that until they trust in Christ to forgive them for their sins that Jesus does not live in their heart. This has always been hard for me to reconcile because both are true. However, I believe that this passage, as well as others in which Jesus deals with children, teach us that Jesus is uniquely with children. I believe that He is with all children whether they realize it or not. My children believe that God is with them because that is what they have been taught, however, I am thankful that He is even with the Buddhist child in Indonesia right now. May he come to believe in Christ as well.

The second lesson is that we as a culture need a good dose of humility. I have heard it said many times that "we are the most powerful nation in the world" and "nothing can come up against America". Hmmm, are we so sure anymore? We are and have been the most powerful nation in the world because God has ordained that we would be at this point in history. Not because of any of our own doing. It is only by His grace and His mercy bestowed upon us day after day after day. And yet, we continue to take credit for it. May we thank Him today the way a little child thanks their parents for doing something they could never do themselves.

No comments: